Saturday 22 June 2013

All-Hail contemporary music’s poet laureate: A short review of The Arctic Monkeys single - Do I Wanna know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOSxM0rNPM






All-Hail contemporary music’s poet laureate

A short review of The Arctic Monkeys single - Do I Wanna know?

I like to think that even when my favourite artists drop a clanger, I am capable of the critical-thought required to acknowledge that fact and lambast where appropriate, not just try and pass it off as a harmless-misdemeanour; Cardinal Keith ‘wandering-hands’ O’Brien it, if you will.…I like to think.

Especially when even the most ardent devil’s advocate, would find it hard-work arguing that - Do I Wanna know? - hasn’t got an almost impossible act to follow in the shape of the, Ian Brady insanely good R U Mine.

Well, thankfully, there is no need in the world to deploy Vatican style Jedi mind-tricks today.

As always, Alex Turner’s lyrical prowess is evident for all to behold. While I’m sure the tried and tested topic of craving the renewed attentions of an ex after one or twelve many Jameson and not-much-coke, has been covered sufficiently before; I would hazard a guess that it’s rarely been done with such lyrical panache.

For example, the turn of phrase:

“Have you no idea that you're in deep?

I've dreamt about you nearly every night this week

How many secrets can you keep?”

Is romantic yet slightly (fairly) sinister.

At no-point do the lyrics stray into the territory of sounding awkward or forced, a place where many of his contemporaries i.e. Liam Fray and Miles Kane have amassed a great deal of frequent –flyer miles.  

As with previous efforts the rhythm resembles a John Cooper-Clarke freestyle, even if the pace of the song itself is slow-burning and hypnotic; which coupled with a chorus big enough to crush Syrian-‘rebels’ makes for a musical-package of Michelin star quality (President Assad’s regime should be taking notes).

In my opinion, Do I wanna know? Is the outstanding single of the year thus far, so good in fact, that it is only likely to be matched or surpassed by another effort from High Greens favourite Monkeys; consequently, if this track is a true indication of what to expect from their forthcoming Long-Play; then, just as was the case in years of our Lord 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011 the album of the year will go to….   

In my opinion that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment